Whether you like it or not, Donald Trump is the President of the United States. I’ve been trying to understand his world view, which I call Trumpism.
Desire for Complete Power
There’s a big difference between the CEO of a business and the President of the United States. First of all, you’re not actually in charge. Congress is your boss. Coming from business, not government, you can see that Trump admires people who can exercise authoritarian control.
- Washington Post – Trump keeps praising international strongmen, alarming human rights advocates (May 2, 2017)
- NY Mag – Trump’s Defense of His Lies: ‘I’m President and You’re Not’ (March 23, 2017)
- NY Times – Me, Me, Me, Me, Me (Feb 24, 2017)
Using the Media to Get Attention
It’s all about getting the attention of the American people. Donald masterfully uses the media to get it. Donald doesn’t hate the media. He loves the media and they love him.
- CNN Money – Wall Street Journal adds 300,000 subscribers in first three months of Trump era (May 9, 2017) — Donald Trump is helping to sell more subscriptions.
- Axios – How Trump thinks like a journalist (May 3, 2017)
Chaos Management Style
Punish Your Enemies
- NY Times – White House Announces Firing of James Comey (May 9, 2017)
- NY Times – F.B.I. Director James Comey Is Fired by Trump (May 9, 2017)
- Vox – A top Trump staffer just promised to post a video of Hillary Clinton’s election night concession call (May 9, 2017)
Never Lets Go of the Campaign
He prefers the campaign. He could go to a rally and have fans cheer him on. It feeds him. So, he’s never let it go.
- NY Times – Trump Finds Respite at Liberty University as Aides Interview F.B.I. Candidates (May 13, 2017)
- NY Times – The Election Is Over, but Trump Can’t Seem to Get Past It (May 13, 2017)
More Comfortable Outside of Washington
- Donald Trump is at Mar-a-lago for a winter vacation. He’s more comfortable there an acting like himself.
- While at Mar-a-lago, Trump feels comfortable and shirks off his staff, which naturally drives his staff crazy. He can be the host of the party, talk to members, and ask for feedback. Sounds like Trump really prides himself on hospitality.