Whether you like it or not, Donald Trump is the President of the United States. I've been trying to understand his world view, which I call Trumpism.
Truth Doesn't Matter
The truth doesn't seem to matter anymore. Details don't seem to matter anymore. It's not about what Donald Trump will actually do. It's about how he'll make you feel.
- Vox - Donald Trump and the slippery slope to becoming a prolific liar (May 10, 2017)
- Vox - Donald Trump thinks exercise will kill you (May 9, 2017)
- Axios - Price: No one will lose coverage with $880B in Medicaid cuts (May 7, 2017) - They would.
- Washington Post - It’s easy to win if you don’t care what you’ve won (May 5, 2017) - For them, it's not about actually winning. It's about showing that you can win.
- NY Times - With Civil War Remark, a President Who Doesn’t Go by the (History) Book (May 2, 2017)
- CNN - WH official: Trump can't be judged by Syria tweets in 2013 because he wasn't president then (April 7, 2017)
- Vox - A new poll on Trump’s “wiretapping” shows how easily he can spread misinformation (March 29, 2017)
- NY Times - Facts Are Enemies of the People (March 13, 2017)
- Vox - Sean Spicer’s appalling answer about economic data shows how far we’ve lowered the bar for Trump (March 10, 2017)
Winning is Everything
It's less about the details and more about winning. Donald Trump wants to make people feel good.
- Washington Post - It’s easy to win if you don’t care what you’ve won (May 5, 2017)
- NY Times - For Trump, Everything Is a Rating (Jan 24, 2017)
There's a big difference between the CEO of a business and the President of the United States. First of all, you're not actually in charge. Congress is your boss. Coming from business, not government, you can see that Trump admires people who can exercise authoritarian control.
- Washington Post - Trump keeps praising international strongmen, alarming human rights advocates (May 2, 2017)
- NY Mag - Trump’s Defense of His Lies: ‘I’m President and You’re Not’ (March 23, 2017)
- NY Times - Me, Me, Me, Me, Me (Feb 24, 2017)
Using the Media to Get Attention
It's all about getting the attention of the American people. Donald masterfully uses the media to get it. Donald doesn't hate the media. He loves the media and they love him.
- CNN Money - Wall Street Journal adds 300,000 subscribers in first three months of Trump era (May 9, 2017) -- Donald Trump is helping to sell more subscriptions.
- Axios - How Trump thinks like a journalist (May 3, 2017)
Chaos Management Style
Punish Your Enemies
- NY Times - White House Announces Firing of James Comey (May 9, 2017)
- NY Times - F.B.I. Director James Comey Is Fired by Trump (May 9, 2017)
- Vox - A top Trump staffer just promised to post a video of Hillary Clinton’s election night concession call (May 9, 2017)
Never Lets Go of the Campaign
He prefers the campaign. He could go to a rally and have fans cheer him on. It feeds him. So, he's never let it go.
- NY Times - Trump Finds Respite at Liberty University as Aides Interview F.B.I. Candidates (May 13, 2017)
- NY Times - The Election Is Over, but Trump Can’t Seem to Get Past It (May 13, 2017)
Note updated on May 14, 2017.